Metcash Food and Grocery
Destination: Tanzania and Zanzibar
- To provide Retailers with an unforgettable trip and opportunity to network with each other in unique and unusual destinations
- Opportunity to conduct store visits and provide an update on the market in that destination.
- Provide once in a life time experiences that are not necessarily available to the traditional tourist.
- Destination- “off the beaten track” unusual or unique
- Delegate Registration including providing a personal touch – to be provided for all attendees & staff.
- Program – Providing a good mix of group activities and free time whilst providing value for money
- Providing some unique and “wow” to the program
What they said
“My feedback is all about the success of the program. If Retailers are happy, then the Directions and Metcash team have achieved the goal and been aligned all the way through the process. This is exactly what happened in 2014. You get and understand that we are a team when it comes to delivering a program andI thought we made a great team in 2014.”
“I’ve rated this trip as a ten and it was worth every bit of that score…. This was to be a trip of a lifetime and delivered… from hot air ballooning across the migration plains to see rose petals and a drawn bath waiting for you back at the crater lodge!!! A few more comments here would never justify.”
“Just a quick note to say thank you for a great experience with a highly organised and enjoyable trip to Tanzania / Zanzibar. It has been a long time since we travelled with like minded people within the retail industry and had forgotten how easy it was to become a part of the larger group. The trip it self was an experience never to forget with the major highlights being the animals, accommodation and the social side.”
- Budgets – managed one main budget balancing two currencies USD/AUD for both incoming and outgoing monies. Managed an on charges document for the client to on charge delegates
- Critical Path – ensuring deadlines were met and cancellation penalties were avoided or reduced where applicable.
- Online registration – managed all aspects of the online registration including creating the web page, maintaining the database and liaising with delegates and hotels according to our critical path deadlines.
- All transfers – carefully managed working closely with the local DMC to make sure that none of the guest’s time was wasted waiting around and no one was left behind.
- Accommodation Management – worked closely with the DMC to ensure rooms were allocated as per the guests requirements and all attrition and cancellation policies were adhered to ensuring no unnecessary cancellations fees were charged.
- Group Flight Management – over 70% of registrations received requested extension travel post event which was managed by the Travel Manager on an individual basis with each delegate.
- On-Site Event Management – entire event was staffed and operated by Directions with the help of a local DMC. Directions staff were visible and available from the time the delegates arrived at the airport to the time the delegates departed the hotel. Directions staff worked closely with the client to provide a personal touch for each of the delegates.
- Room Drops and gifts – created to enhance the guest’s experience and provide them with information and local delights.
- Finalisation of the program – provided a reconciliation of the budget; Evaluations collected via an online survey, and a de-brief meeting conducted with key stakeholders of the event.
Enhancing the Program
Providing the ‘wow’ in a not so unique destination meant we had to think “outside the box” to come up with some memorable experiences that wouldn’t necessarily impact on the budget. We did this with a special ‘Movie night, Out of Africa, under the stars in Tanzania’, a guard of honour with 100 Masai Warriors in Ngorongoro, and wake up traditional African treats before going on Safari.
Budget restrictions meant we had to modify the program and couldn’t offer the additional portion of the trip to Rwanda to see the Gorillas in the Virunga National Park. We overcame this by offering the trip as an “add on” for those who wanted to stay for the extension and pay additionally to attend.
Throughout the program, we worked closely with the client to create unique and special opportunities and entertainment to add wow for the delegates.
The final night is always a special night, whilst it may not have all the “bells and whistles”, this night is about everyone relaxing and having fun. We always try to make the evening interactive so everyone gets involved. We had African Ngoma-Ngoma dancers performing and singing and invited delegates to join in.
Another wow was our stay at Ngorongoro crater lodge in Tanzania on the edge of the world famous “World Heritage Site” of the Ngorongoro crater. Surrounding the lodge, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area spans 8,300 square kilometres, stretching from the Rift Valley to the Serengeti. The Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is without doubt one of the most architecturally spectacular safari lodges in Africa.